Saturday, January 2, 2010

I am back. . . . working on being "regular".

I enjoy blogging - even though I have nothing earth changing to say. When the world gets me down and I feel overwhelmed, I always try to simplify and the blogging seems to be the first to go. Sometimes I go get my hair all cut off as well - like a boy cut - didn't to that this time. I enjoy reading other people's blogs so much so I am back in the game. . . until the next time that is.

This blog is about cereal. Bob and I have eaten Fiber One cereal almost every morning since he had a medical need for more fiber a few years back. And then this fall I read about aspertame and decided we could live without it, but wait - that is the sweetener used in Fiber One and diet coke - how will I survive? Well I also needed the Fiber One - I know "way too much information here".

I have learned to live with out the diet coke and other diet drinks pretty good, but the Fiber One need was a major problem. So, we came up with a great hot oatmeal cereal. It is high in fiber and "good stuff" to help with Bob's clogged artery problem and the "regular" problem. Also - see my wonderful new red dishes. Love them!

THE CEREAL
9 cups water - bring to boil.
Add 2 chopped up apples
3 tsp cinnamon - we like a lot of cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground clove
(You can change the amounts of the spices up as you like of course)
1 cup plus a few more raisins
When the water is boiling - add 3 cups of steel cut oats - or whatever amount they say for 9 cups of water from the brand you use - that is just what works with the ones we get from Bob's Red Mill. Sometimes I use half steel cut oats and half Wheat Montana 7 Grain Cereal to change it up. We really "step right out there with change" don't you think?
And . . .
Add a half cup, more or less, of ground flax seed - I have used either the brown or golden - just be sure it is ground.
And . . .
Add a half cup, more or less, of chopped walnuts
Boil for 15 to 20 minutes - per directions on cereal - stirring as needed.
It makes the best hot cereal - high in fiber and high in all of the good stuff you need to reduce cholesterol and artery clogging.

We eat it fresh the first day and then put it in the frig and heat what we need each - and every - morning in a pan on low with a bit more water. I suspect you could freeze it if you didn't want to eat it every day, but we eat it every day - every day - did I say "every day"?

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you stopped to chat.