Thursday, September 13, 2007

Thrilled . . .

I came home today. I took a different route through Wyoming than my normal "Interstate quick trip" and drove through Grand Teton National Park and then through Yellowstone National Park. I love the Grand Tetons. Everytime I see them, I have to stop the car and take an extra breath because it always "takes my breath away". Today it was kind of smokey so I couldn't get a good picture so here is one I have permission to share from the National Park Service.

Now for the most exciting news - when I got home, in the mail was the news that the quilt my friend Gail and I made (Tumbling Through Time) was juried into the Pacific International Quilt Festival next month in Santa Clara, CA. I called her as soon as I pulled myself from the ceiling. Gail lives in Denver and we pieced it together (she did all of the little, precise piecing in all of those blocks and half square triangles) and then I quilted it. It is an original design based on blocks from the 20th century. We are "over the moon". I think it does look better after I did the extra quilting in the blocks as suggested by another wonderful quilting friend who is a master quilter and quilt judge. Here is another pic just because we are so excited! (You can click to enlarge.)

And one more story - speaking of Park Service - I pulled up to the entry at Grand Teton National Park and the ranger on duty said "$25.00, please". He must have noticed the look on my face so he then said, "But it is for both parks for 7 days." So I said, "Do you have something for old people?" "Yes, we have a Golden Pass for seniors, but you would have to be 62." I wanted to jump out of the car and kiss him - but I just pulled out my drivers license and said, "I qualify". It was $10.00 and it lasts for a lifetime for entry into all National Parks. I felt pretty smug as I drove on through the park. This is the best time to go - the traffic is light and there are more often animals that can be seen. It was a great trip.

It is good to be home for a few days. We have a big Bobcat Gala and Auction tomorrow night to go to with friends. The "Bobcat" is the mascot for the athletic teams for our Montana State University and Bob and I are both "loyal alums".

Also - I get to see my Weston this week-end. A perfect day and a perfect weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What a beautiful quilt!!! Congratulations to both of you. I have such neat talented friends. I have been reading your blog catching up on your life a little. Isn't 62 fun! I got my $10 pass this year also and it is good for all kinds of things and in some places can get you discounts at places other than the Parks. Fall is beautiful and I am so happy your were blessed in your winding drive home. Your little grandchildren are precious. It is so neat being a grandma.
    Love and prayers,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped to chat.