Monday, September 17, 2007

Long drive - lots of time to imagine. . .

I drove back to Laramie today. It is a long 9 hour drive and my mind wanted to wander around so I let it rather than listen to music or talk shows. I enjoyed reliving the wonderful weekend.

And then I started thinking about "pin weaving". It is a class I took a couple years ago from a local fiber artist friend and we each made a vest. I could hardly wait to get here so I could look in my digital pictures to see if I had taken photos. And I had. The vest fronts were cut out of a tricot iron-on interfacing. With the glue side up, we attached the piece to foam board with glass headed pins and then placed pins, evenly spaced, all around the piece. We then wove with ribbon and or string up and down. The side to side weaving was done with ribbon, yarn, strips of fabric, ultrasuede or whatever we wanted.

Once the weaving was complete, we ironed the weaving onto the interfacing, sewed around the edge and then trimmed it to the shape of the vest piece. We then secured it by sewing in patterns all over. This is the only piece I ever made and I gave the vest to Mom. I must need to try it again. You can click to enlarge the photos for more detail.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you stopped to chat.