Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Fun gathering . . . good food . . . good cheer.

The Middle Creek Women's Club started out here in this area about 90 years ago. Women had to live near Middle Creek in order to belong. Now the club includes many of us who have moved into the area as well as several descendents of those who originally started the club.

Today was our Christmas meeting which is a buffet and a white elephant silent auction. We use the money for a charity. The club is more social than anything else. I got some really nice hand embroidered dish towels that one of the members does. You can't see it, but they have rickrack all around. I really like them and the price was phenomenal.

We met at our neighbors and I was her "helper". She provided a wonderful ham and everyone brought something to go with it. I took twice baked potatoes and kind of made up my own recipe. I include some sour cream, cream cheese, chives, crumbled bacon, shredded cheddar and seasoning - everyone raved about them so I felt good as I had not ever made them before. Janna from Tin Teepee/Log Cabin talks about making them once in a while on her blog and they always sound so good. So today, I got brave and I even impressed myself. I will make them again and often.

Here is another dish that was a great hit - "Pineapple Casserole". It was just scrumptious and the woman who brought it said she only uses half a cup of sugar and it was perfect.

We never have real meetings - but always have fun and gather a little money here and there that we give to a designated charity. Today our roll call was to name our favorite Christmas song and two of the members sing as a local group called "The Saddle Bags". When each song was named, they would lead us in singing it. It is a fun day and a fun group.

I continue to be amazed at how really wonderful my life is - it is the same life, but it just seems perfect. It probably always has been, but I was just "out of it". I think it could be the vitamin D.

1 comment:

I am so glad you stopped to chat.