Friday, December 17, 2010

So many good things . . .

My blogging seems to have become a "once a week" event. The good thing about that is I am busy and loving it. The not so good thing about that is "why in the world do I even blog?" Well, I enjoy it and I like it even better when folks who drop in leave a word or two in the comments. So, if you are reading this, please say "hello" in the comments area.

One of the fun things we did this week was make cookies - all kinds of cookies. Here is a picture of Weston shaking sprinkles on a sugar cookie. We made ginger bread men, sugar cookies, frosted maple cookies, and some gooey cookies that I had not made before that start with a cake mix. They were all good. I found out if I roll out the ginger bread dough and the sugar cookie dough between two pieces of parchment paper it is very easy. I then placed the rolled out dough in the freezer and I could use it within 30 minutes or I can wrap the rolled out dough, freeze it, and use it later.

But, the most fun part was using my new Christmas present. Bob got me a new KitchenAid Professional 600 mixer. It is just like this one. I have never had anything more than a small, fragile portable mixer. I guess I never felt I had the skills to be a "cook" of any kind so I just never acquired the right tools. I am not sure where that idea came from. My mom didn't really "love" cooking and her mom passed away when she was a young girl. So, baking and cooking didn't seem to be one of my gifts. But now, I may find I am "gifted" - or I may find I am making way too many cookies. LOL.

We are in Spokane tonight. We came this far on our way to Portland tomorrow where we will spend Christmas with Roy and Meagan - and other family. Guess what? I brought the mixer so Meagan and I can make some ginger bread cookies and some sugar cookies. Of course, I also brought my sewing machine and some jewelry making tools. I always bring way more stuff than we have time to do, but it will be a really special week and we are thrilled to be making the trip.

Just so I didn't feel too badly about leaving Walker and Weston over Christmas, I found 12 little gifts for each of them and wrapped them individually so they can open one each day. They started last Monday morning. Some days have been more of a hit than others. It was more fun for me I am sure to find the "just right" little gift for each.

I will get more words and pictures on this blog this week!

5 comments:

  1. You will love your Kitchen Aid--I've had one for years and still love it--two batches of cookie dough at once!
    What a sweet grandmother you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your grandkids are getting so grown up!
    I am ordering a Kitchen Aid today for a Christmas present for both of us. Steve said it should be a business expense because cookies fuel him!

    Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    Gayle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for the comments. We are driving in eastern Washington - snowing here - may stop for a while in the Tri-Cities area so we don't have to hit snow and ice in the Columbia River Gorge.

    More later - thanks again for the kind words. I think cookies should be a business expense for everyone who can drive a longarm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i haven't been a good commenter lately but i keep up with the reading! i love the pix and stories of your little grands. and yes, cookies should be a business expense!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry Christmas Carol!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped to chat.