Thursday, January 8, 2009

I think I solved my main problem . . .

Here is the quilt I am now working on. It is batik and the owner is a very good piecer and also very precise about her work and outcome expectations. I have been concerned about doing her quilts - she brought me three - all beautifully pieced and the designs and colors are wonderful. She is also very visible in our local quilting world. So - I decided to bury threads for her quilt to help me get over the hump of being scared. It worked. I hate the look of starts and stops when they show and I know if the back is busy, they really rarely show. The back on this quilt, however, is a batik with large areas of plain fabric - everyone would be showing. This is the first time I have received a back that has the edges stitched a quarter of an inch in all the way around - is that common in other areas? Of course it is perfectly squared (nice!) and perfectly sized (also nice!) I envisioned the owner turning the quilt over and looking at the stops and starts on the back in shock - kind of like when someone runs a finger over a dusty area in disbelief. Now I don't know if that would really happen, but the thought of it took me to my knees. I would not want her to be disappointed in any way. I can't believe how free I feel now. It takes more time, but to get my confidence back, the time is a small price to pay. I will post more pictures when I get done with this.

Tomorrow we are going to start our guild interviews of the local quilt shops. There are 8 shops in the area that have supported the guild to some extent in the past and we will do the first one tomorrow. The "we" is another one of the new guild officers and myself. It should be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you stopped to chat.