Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Getting ready . . .

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving Day and it is going to be a wonderful day filled with family and love.My Christmas cactus is blooming as usual this time of year. It blooms again about Easter time. It was started from a plant my aunt had when I was growing up. It is a direct connection to the love of generations.
We are having one of those weeks that help you remember what is really important and what we need to be grateful that we have.

Our furnace went out on Sunday before I got home and it has been cold and snowing. So I spent a couple days bringing in wood to keep the stove insert in our fireplace going while Bob worked and tracked down a new water circulating motor.

This morning, our hot water heater has "passed on". So, I will need to be creative about a shower and warm water for the cooking. I am cooking a turkey this evening and cutting off the meat. We then refrigerate it, put it in a cooler tomorrow morning for the 3 hour drive to Missoula and then put it back in the oven with a little broth to prepare it for dinner. I am also making crock pot mashed potatoes to take with us tomorrow as well.

Weston is coming this afternoon and staying overnight with us. He is riding with us in LilyB to Missoula and we will leave early, early. Stan and Rainy (Weston's mom and dad) are coming along later in the day. My sister and her family will be there as will my aunt Laura. We were going to stay over for a couple days, but we will probably head home tomorrow night in hopes of getting the hot water heater changed out on Friday. Things in older homes kind of "go out" in "threes" it seems. So, I am wondering what will go next. It won't matter - it is just a reminder that "life is what happens to you on your way to do what you planned".

I have some great interviews coming - had wanted to get them started today, but I want to wait for a couple days.

Give thanks and lots of hugs!

5 comments:

  1. Your plant is beautiful! And having a part of your family just makes it that much more special! Enjoy your holiday! I'm hoping that three thing is a vicious rumor. Sounds like you've had enough challenges already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, the hot water heater also, ours passed on last December, must have been my story... Enjoy your holiday... Love to You and Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't get my Christmas cactus to bloom. How do you do it? It is beautiful. Have a happy and safe Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really know nothing about trying to get it to bloom. A friend of mine told me that they bloom based on the amount of natural seasonal light they get and this one is in the foyer which gets lots of natural light, but we never turn any lights on in there so it also has just the right of darkness. She thought that was what made it bloom so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful christmas cactus! and yes, old houses are just like old people....it's always something!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped to chat.