Sunday, November 4, 2007

Deciding on the layout . . .

Here is another picture of the vintage six-pointed star quilt that I need to finish for a client and then quilt. I have been stumped as to how to get this into a rectangle. Here is the layout of the blocks as they are now. Each six-pointed star measures about 24 inches from star point to star point.

So I decided I will move the first one on the left in the second row to become the last one in the first row. I will then remove the last star on the right in the last row. I will then trim the quilt into a rectange that will measure about 84 x 72 for a finished quilt size. The customer wants the one on the left in the last row gone anyway, so this will work. This is what I am going to do to start. It feels good to have a place to start. I have not wanted to tackle this for several months.

3 comments:

  1. That looks like a great plan!! Give yourself credit. Even though you may not have been physically working on this quilt, you have obviously been mentally going over which direction etc. It's going to be great!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Jan. Your idea of moving the one star and removing the red one is PERFECT!!

    I'm so glad to read you had a great weekend!! Guess what . . . I have actually been bonding with my longarm as well!! Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap may actually be a quilt someday! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both! Yes, this was a struggle - just to find a way to lay it out and then to try to decide what I could do to get it into a manageable top. As it is, it measured 106 on the longest side. I wonder how big the lady was going to make it? I think she just couldn't figure out how to stop and get it "square". Mindy - I have loved going through the "Great American Quilt" books - lots of ideas. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped to chat.