Sunday, November 25, 2007

Awesome Artists . . .

Peggy Holt - Quilting Artist . . . Part 2
The interview with Peggy Holt continues below.

What are some of your other "favorite" projects?
Another piece that comes to mind is Chocolate Box. This started from a published pattern that I eventually tweaked. It has a lot of intricate appliqué and hand piecing, both of which were new for me in such an ambitious project. It was 4 years in the making.

Hydro Flora is a piece that was inspired by a small study I made in a workshop with Laura Cater/Woods. It was a very difficult piece with over 100 individual pieces each requiring its own template. This small wall hanging was juried into International Quilt Festival, Chicago.

Probably my most important piece is Mad Cow Disease. This small wall hanging was made at a particularly difficult time in my life and is a testimony to my faith in God who is constant and gracious. It hangs in my studio to remind me of the source of my joy and strength.

Most of my quilts are studies in technique or in some way I challenge myself. I am always pleased when it actually works, and each quilt becomes important to me because of the triumphs or because of what I have learned.

Talk about one thing you would like to do with your quilting?
In my dreams, I am a well-respected, nationally recognized name in the industry. Not a big name like Nancy Crow perhaps, but just someone others have heard about. In reality, I would like my quilting to join all the other bodies of work that document the passing on of the craft from one generation to the next. I would love to think that my meager contribution to the craft would be found worthy of my being called a quilter.

Specifically, I want to continue to learn and grow in all aspects of the art, particularly through my art quilts. I hope that my body of work will show a respect and awe for those who have come before me and be an inspiration and source of knowledge for those who see it now or will see it a generation from now.

What has been your biggest disappointment?
Every new project offers the opportunity to grow and learn. Every time, I just know that this is going to be the one that will be worthy of sending off to a national show. And every time, something goes awry that, in my judgment, makes it fall short. So in that respect, each quilt I make is a disappointment. And yet, every quilt has something that I have accomplished because I always set up a challenge with each new project. I am always so pleased when it works, even if not perfectly. So, each quilt I make is a success; each quilt is a disappointment.

Of what are you the most proud when you think of your quilting career?
I have had two quilts juried into national shows and I am very proud of that. But topping that: In 2006 I was a featured quilter at our Guild Show. It was such an honor to be recognized that way. I was very humbled by it.

And topping that: Our quilt show is every two years, and in 2004 a new award was instituted. It is named after one of the founders of our guild and a well-respected quilter. Geneva Chaffey was probably the most instrumental influence on dozens of us in the 80's. Unlike the people's choice awards, the Geneva Award is private, in-guild voting. Each member is given a ballot to vote for her one favorite quilt in the entire show of 500 quilts. It is to be based on originality, design, excellence in execution, and exemplary in all aspects of quilting. Three Geneva Awards are given each year; all of equal merit.

In 2004, Hydro Flora was one of the recipients. And in 2006, I was again honored to receive the award for Chocolate Box. Those two awards mean more to me than any national recognition. It is very humbling to see those ribbons in my studio.

If you would like to see more of Peggy's work, you can visit Longarm Chat. Peggy has some recent posts in the "Chit Chat" forum if you are a member and you can also see her wonderful quilting in her "Media Gallery".

The next Awesome Artist will be posted next Saturday. Please check back.

3 comments:

  1. This has been a wonderful interview with Peggy. She is an authentic person and good friend. Thanks, Carol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful interview with our dear Peggy - she is definitely an inspiration to us all. National recognition? With all of her cyber friends all over the world with whom she has shared her beautiful work, I would say she is definitely nationally (internationally) recognized! Thanks for the interview, Carol, and I look forward the the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you dear Carol for this Interview... What does Peggy mean she WANTS to be famous, she IS......
    Love this quilt, very, very pretty.... Talk to you soon, Love to you and thanks again.....

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped to chat.