Monday, October 29, 2007

Verizon "opt out" info . . .

My Verizon wireless is my only phone here in Laramie and I found this very interesting. The info below was sent to me by my sis and I checked it out. You may have already received the notice, but wanted to call it to your attention. The notices were sent out a week or so ago.

Verizon Wireless is mailing a notice advising wireless subscribers that if they fail to Opt Out within 30 days, Verizon will begin SELLING their Customer Proprietary Network Information (CPNI) to “third parties and affiliates”. CPNI information includes all the calls you place or receive on your cell phone (along with date, time and call duration). Verizon intends to allow “targeted ads” created by their affiliates sent to your phone. There's more details in the blog. The opt out number is 1-800-333-9956. If you have more than one phone on your plan, you have to opt out for each one.

I also did some sleuthing and here is a page from Verizon's policy blog - more info is in the comments following the entry.

http://policyblog.verizon.com/PolicyBlog

I just called the number and it is easy to "opt out" with a robot person on the other end.

1 comment:

  1. Hey!! I've been wondering what you've been up to. Sounds like you're having lots of fun! It was neat to see the pics of Bob & Jesse.

    Things here are good. Nick got his driver's liense and his car. GEEZ . . . my little boy is solo on the road!

    We went to the corn maze this weekend in Hauser Lake. BIG FUN!!

    Glad to hear you are well!!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped to chat.