Sunday, November 27, 2011

Day of rest . . .

It has been a busy couple weeks - or maybe months - so today is a day of rest - and I mean absolute rest. A totally, lazy day of doing nothing - unless writing this counts and it doesn't.

"Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass under trees on a summer's day, listening to the murmur of the water, or watching the clouds float across the sky, is by no means a waste of time." - John Lubbock

My Christmas Cactus is blooming again - I love it when that time of year rolls around. It blooms heavy between now and Christmas and then keeps on until about the end of March. The original plant belonged to my grandmother whom I never knew as she passed long before I was born. Her plant was at my aunt's for years and one of my cousins started these over the years for all of the cousins who wanted one.

The new carpet is in. It is a very neutral light sand color pretty close to what shows here without any hint of pink. I have never lived in a house long enough to replace carpet before so I didn't realize just how much work it is to get ready. We packed up all three rooms - living room, dining room, and family room - and stored that stuff out of the way. The piano movers came to move the piano and then had to come back to move it back. The big stuff like couches, chairs, china closet (empty), etc were moved and put back by the carpet guys. All of the packed stuff isn't back yet - looks much better without all of that clutter so that inspires me to really get serious about thinning things out.

The old carpet was an off white berber and it has been 18 years since we had it installed. It was installed when I moved here from Denver before Bob and I got married. Bob had "bachelor remnants" that he used before Carol arrived on the scene. We loved the berber, but with this we are asking ourselves why we waited so long. That is a good sign. One thing for sure, if this carpet last 18 years, we will not be here when it is replaced.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you stopped to chat.