Monday, June 8, 2015

And we were off and running . . .

We left last Thursday for a "Gus Trip" - first time out this season in the motorhome.  We headed west toward Hamilton, Montana where there were several artists who had open studios.

We decided to take the back roads across the upper "Big Hole Valley" and it was well worth the few extra miles.  Cool with showers, beautiful clouds and green as far as your eye could see.  Little or no traffic and decent roads.  Can't ask for more than that.

Then on Friday we headed out to take in a couple artist open studios.  I actually went with the specific purpose of seeing Heidi Zielinski - one of my favorite fiber artists.  I was gobsmacked!  I must have been there 2 hours and was totally overwhelmed with all the ideas and beautiful work.  She is an amazing artist.   Visit her web page here but know the pictures, beautiful as they are, do not do justice to her work.

So we stopped for a late, long lunch so I could regain my composure and try to organize my thoughts.
We found a great lunch place in Corvallis, MT and ate on the patio.  Again, we stayed way too long. Bob really did enjoy it as well but he was wary of my picture taking.

I decided to just relax for the rest of the afternoon as there were only a couple hours left and we did some sight seeing of the beautiful Bitterroot Valley.  It is a gorgeous place.  Many years ago - many, many years ago - I taught in Hamilton.  It was my first year of teaching and I taught 4th grade.  One of my best work memories.  I was in a marriage that was not destined to last, however, and it was not a favored place of my then husband so we left after one school year.  I always loved the area and it was fun to go back.

We wanted to do more studio tours on Saturday and Sunday, but life had other plans.  We had a long visit with Bob's favorite cousin who also lives in Hamilton.  Of course that took most of Saturday and we enjoyed every minute.  And then Sunday started out with us working to make plans for a couple trips with the grandsons as everyone needed to know when those were going to happen. Just as we were ready to head out to get to at least 2 more studios, I got a couple phone calls from 2 cousins of mine from Minnesota.  One cousin is on my Mom's side and she is coming through Bozeman Tuesday morning (tomorrow).  The second call came from a cousin on my dad's side whom I have never met and she is coming through Bozeman Tuesday afternoon.  Both from Minneapolis area and they don't know each other.  So we had long visits with times and laughter and directions and - Bam - the afternoon was mostly gone - again.  I am so thankful I got to Heidi's studio and know I will go back next year for sure.

Our first outing with Gus was a good one.  Sassy Cat has settled down and is a great traveler.  Coming home today was not so great for me, however.  The AC in the cab part of the motorhome is not working up to speed and it was really, really hot out.  So, it was a long 5+ hours in a very hot motorhome traveling back.  Sassy handled it much better than I did for sure.

We left last Thursday in what is typical cool, early June, Montana weather.  We came back today and it seems like the heat of August is upon us.  

No comments: