Sunday, November 2, 2008

Heading out . . .

I am leaving this morning for our week away at a resort on Lake Couer d'Alene. Every few years, a group of 6 to 8 women gather - from all over the Pacific Northwest - and we meet somewhere at a resort to gab, laugh, share memories, pictures of kids and grandkids, and some tears. We have been friends since we started college 45 years ago. It is a wonderful special treat. This year we are gathering at a resort near Harrison on the east side of Lake Couer d'Alene. I am heading through Helena to pick up one of our group so the drive will be something just as good as the rest of the week. It is a 6 hour drive from here and we go through Missoula so I will stop for a quick visit with Dad in the nursing home. I will catch Mom on the way back as she will be in church when we go through.

At first I hated to take the time away to go - you know how that is. There is always too much to do, but I couldn't sleep last night from the excitement of getting on the road. Last night I was tired from a long, good day. We went to the football game here - Montana State University played the University of Northern Colorado - and we won. It was about 70 degrees and we saw lots of friends and it was a great day.

I then had to wash and vacuum the car and go do the shopping for my part of our meals. There was lots of packing, organizing, and going over and over "the list". We each take a breakfast, a lunch and a supper. There are only 6 of us going this year so that should work out with some extras. A couple fly in and the rest of us drive. Those who fly in stop to shop before they get to the resort. I am taking my "world famous" 7-grain cereal with apples, raisins, walnuts, cinnamon, and other "secret" ingredients for my breakfast. For a lunch I am making a chicken wild rice soup with some great garlic bread. And for supper, I am making smothered burritos with lettuce and cheese. (They are are pretty darn good considering I am a Dane.)

Of course we take a few extras to fill in here and there, but we are all eating pretty healthy as several of us fight the constant battle of being too fluffy. There will be some good desserts, but I know I can handle it! I have been on Weight Watchers Onlne for a year and it is part of me now. I don't worry any more about being on or off a diet. I just eat what I want - of course I may not eat as much of whatever as I used to want, but there is no more fear. It is a miracle! The pounds are going away - slowly - but I know I am healthy and I know how happy I am. I have lost 35 pounds in the past year. More came off at first and I only lose a couple pounds a month now which works for me. I weigh once a week and I feel "normal" for the first time in my life.

I am taking 4 projects I "might work on" - and might not. Two of us want to make some small gift cards. I am also taking a couple projects that I need to get together for a couple classes I am going to teach this winter at one of our local quilt shops and I always take my freeform crochet stuff. But, I know when I pack that none of it might even get out of the car so I never haul it in until I am so inspired to do it. It will be a wonderful week.

1 comment:

  1. I'm late in wishing you a safe journey. It sounds like you're going to have a great time. Congratulations on the weight loss and sustaining your improved eating habits---it isn't at all easy and many of us battle doing it in our own lives. Good for you!
    TeresaL

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped to chat.