Monday, May 4, 2009

I wonder about things . . .

"So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads." Dr. Suess

As I get older there are tons of things that I "just plain wonder
about". And many of those things seem to be connected to technology communication . I have used various technologies for communication for over 25 years. I started out using email for business only - and only for information that was not emotional. Sometimes it seems to me that as we have included more communication uses, we have not done the best job of figuring out how to best communicate without hurling attack words or judgemental phrases.

Sometimes I read something on a blog or one of the discussion boards and I think - hmmm - I need to write and straighten out that person's thinking. I bet they just don't realize how judgemental and rude they are sounding. I get in my "I know better than they do" mode and plan to help them - and what a help that would be, huh? I wonder why I do that?

In the past I may have even written a response, left a comment, or on occasion I have written a personal email and once I even made a pretty stupid phone call thinking I was helping. As Dr. Phil would say, "And how is that working for you?" Not very well at all! On each occasion, I have been embarrassed and soon wished I wouldn't have done that. Now I don't respond. The little voice in my head says, "No" and I listen. So, I guess you could say that I have learned - finally!

It has taken me some time to come to realize that we all have opinions based on our experiences, intellectual capacity and maybe even our emotional world at the time. We use tools available through the technology to voice those opinions - to all or to a small focused group. We can read or not what others say or write. We can like them or not. Sometimes I almost enjoy the rants of some online and I would not enjoy it at all if I were in the same room - I would leave. I would be embarrassed for them in person. We have become so disconnected with the person, so impersonal.

Lots of things to wonder about. . . and this post probably fits the quote. . .
"So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads." Dr. Suess

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you stopped to chat.