Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Nothing creative . . .

is coming from me in my quilting or fiber world. But I am learning a lot. One thing is "life is what happens to you on your way to do what you planned". I thought I had a weekend to be in my studio, but it didn't work out that way.

I am back in Missoula to help Mom decide on her next living place. My Dad will not be leaving the nursing home for a while and Mom needs to sell the house as it is too big with too much care and worry for her alone. She is exhausted. We did the final work on listing it today. It is a very hard time for them both.

Dad fell the first time about 5 years ago and had very extensive injuries to his ribs and lungs. She has been the main caregiver since through another more serious fall with brain injuries, brain surgery and lengthy recovery - mostly at home until the end of May of this year. He will be 90 in a couple months. It has been a long tough road for them both.

It is all part of the fabric of a family.

4 comments:

  1. I know this is a very difficult time for your family.

    I'm keeping your family in my thoughts and prayers.

    Judy in MO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol, I'm sorry to read that these changes/things are necessary for your parents. It has to be such a hard, tiring and sad time for them and for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both! It is hard to see them struggle, but we feel blessed that we have had so many years with them both to share. And even this part of the journey is another part of the family fabric. Love to you both for caring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carol- seeing our parents at this stage in life is heartbreaking. My prayer will be that they will have peace as they make their way through these challenging times. And peace for you, too. I lost my dad at age 72 - way too young, and lost my mom a couple of years ago, at 84. It was my privilage and a true blessing from God to have shared her last 10 months as her caregiver, having moved her here to Austin, being with her every day, relishing in just being with her, even on the many days when she didn't know who I was, but she knew I must be someone important to her to come every day to see her. God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped to chat.